Sample Program: Comics Camp
Posted: 12-12-2002 Filed under: COMICS CAMPS, Curriculum, EDUCATION, Program Outlines
“What do you do?”
Here’s a sample program from a week-long Comics Camp summer program:
|Comics Camp: Comics 101 1-Week Program
|Day 1: Shapes and Characters
- Blob Drawings: A simple introductory exercise to get the creative juices flowing, and to discover characters we never even knew we had!
- Character and Setting: Taking one of your blob characters and putting it in its place.
- Facts and Situations: What do we need to know about your character?
- Book Building: Fold, staple, and cut a 16-page mini-comic about comics
- PROJECT: A “splash” page for one of your characters
|Day 2: Sequence
- Book Building: Fold, staple, and cut the mini-comic of all our character splash pages from yesterday!
- Simple Tasks: Show us how to perform a simple task… without using words!
- Scene-Action-Result: Bringing the power of “Sequential Art” to bear on three simple panels.
- PROJECT: Create a “Scene-Action-Result” page for one of your characters.
|Day 3: Talking Comics (Dialogue)
- Book Building: Fold, staple, and cut the mini-comic of all our “Scene-Action-Result” pages from yesterday!
- Readability and Space: Help your readers to enjoy your comics.
- Talking Order: You can show a whole conversation in a single panel… and make it flow!
- Creative Voices: Use words and fonts to make sounds in the minds of your readers.
- PROJECT: What happens when two characters meet?
|Day 4: Panels and Paths
- Catching the Eye: A group activity to learn about grabbing readers’ attention.
- Stepping Back: Learn to see your own comics… from a distance.
- PROJECT: Work on your final project.
|Day 5: Student Projects!
- Final Project Worktime: Don’t panic! It’s just a deadline…
- Assembling your book(s): Everybody works together to assemble hundreds of copies of comic books for the boxed sets.
- Making Boxes: We also have to fold and decorate the containers for the boxed sets.
- FINAL PROJECTS: Each student receives a BOXED SET of ALL the work we’ve done this week!