The Community School: Nature Journal ComicsPosted: 16-10-2008
Last week’s Comics Workshop at The Community School (Tamworth, NH) focused on using comics in Nature Journals,Â with an outdoor field activity in the pine forest behind the school.Â Students found special locations and used comics to document the following aspects of the season and ecosystem:Â
- “The Moment”: What special moment did you observe? (Something special to the place and time you observed)
- Changes (or Stories): What changes do you observe happening?
- Point of View:Â What new points of view did you find by using your imagination?
- Voice: Â What new voices can you bring out in your comics?
We drew quickly and loosely, focusing on using multiple images to show changes and introduce new information.Â Here are some art samples:
- James drew a wasp INSIDE its oak gall, trying to climb out!
- The fading woodland plants also caught James’ eye…
- Butterfly noticed several plant voices:
- Butterfly also noticed the fallen pine needles that hung from every branch:
- Reahn’s comics document changes in the woods…:
- These are moments that Reahn witnessed and made into comics:
- Joslin drew the canopy of trees overhead, reflected in the eye of the beholder:
- Killian noticed how dangerous it is for worms when students are in the forest:
- Marek listened to the smallest trees: